From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: MISSING_SUBJECT
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2018 23:39:27 GMT
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 12.06.18 19:37, micah anderson wrote:
>> 2.3 EMPTY_MESSAGE Message appears to have no textual parts and no
>>
>> It did not have a subject, but it did have content (although only
>> encrypted).... it also hit:
>>
>> *  1.8 MISSING_SUBJECT Missing Subject: header
>>
>> which makes sense, because the mail did not have one, but have you
>> looked in your Spam folder lately? All spam has a subject, pretty much
>> always.... an informal survey of my trash heap showed 4 messages out of
>> 400 did not have a Subject, and two of them were repeats.
>
> and what is your point?
>
> MISSING_SUBJECT is here because when message has no Subject:, it is highly
> probably spam.
>
> it's useless to count how many of spams hit the rule. there are many rules
> who hit only small percentage of spam, but all of them hit most of spam.
>
> what is important is:
>
> - how much of mails hitting MISSING_SUBJECT is spam
> - how much of mails hitting MISSING_SUBJECT is ham.
>
> if the percentage is very different in there two cases, the rule gets high
> positive (or negative) score.

S/O = .826

http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/20180613-r1833448-n/MISSING_SUBJECT/detail

   As a Turkish general once remarked, the trouble with having the
   Americans as friends is that you can never be sure when they will
   turn around and stab themselves in the back.       -- Bernard Lewis
  5 days until SWMBO's Birthday