From Grant Taylor <gtay...@tnetconsulting.net>
Subject Re: [Offtopic] List From and Reply-To
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 18:47:42 GMT
On 05/30/2018 12:08 PM, RW wrote:
> SPF passes on the rewritten envelope address, so it's not aligned and
> it's just a matter of whether there's an aligned dkim pass.

It depends on what the Forensic Report ("fo") option is set to in the
published DMARC policy.  Domain owners / record publishers can state
that any failure, including SPF misalignment, will cause a report to be
sent.

IMHO simply relying on DKIM to validate is insufficient.

Further, it's not unheard of for something else (completely benign) to
break DKIM (like 8-bit to 7-bit MIME transcoding).

> It passes dmarc at gmail,

I've learned not to use Gmail as a measuring stick for what's good.
Rather I use Gmail as for the low end, as if it fails Gmail then it's
really broken.  Gmail has a number of things that are NOT up to a high bar.

> so presumably the problem is with the service that sent the notices.

How is it a misconfiguration / misbehavior of the receiving DMARC filter
for reporting a misalignment that it detected between the envelope from
and the From header?

That sounds like "working as (intended|desired|configured)" to me.

> The important thing is to not sign the list* headers in dkim.

I did say that DKIM passed.  Which means that the list-* headers didn't
cause the failure.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die