From Charles Sprickman <sp...@bway.net>
Subject Re: [Offtopic] List From and Reply-To
Date Wed, 30 May 2018 18:47:02 GMT

clients (https://emailclientmarketshare.com).

> Which is unfortunate, because Apple Mail generally sucks. It seems to have been put under
the control of people who think Outlook 2003 was the pinnacle of email clients. For MacOS,
there are far better alternatives that include Mozilla and MailMate. For iOS not so much,
sadly.

All email clients “generally suck”.  Thunderbird is not even actively developed anymore
last I checked, so that’s not really an option.  And if you can imagine this, both Thunderbird
and MailMate choke on large mailboxes *even more* than Mail.app does.

If I had a better option than some old command-line mess, I’d use it.  Every 3-4 years I
go on a hunt for a new Mac mail client and I always come up empty.  I’ve tried MailMate,
Thunderbird, Postbox and just keep coming back to the (neglected) Mail.app.  I’m all ears
if there’s something out there that can deal with 5 or 6 really large accounts well, AND
does the right thing with mailing lists, I’m all ears.  I’ve not tried Outlook for Mac
yet, maybe that’s the ticket? :)

Charles

ps - this email I’m replying to has a “Reply-To” header and Mail.app followed it.

> Any mail client that does not have an easy way to view messages in raw RFC5322, to create
messages that follow RFC3676, and to set Reply-To and From headers arbitrarily is unfit for
use in the modern world no matter how many people use it because switching is hard.

>> I wonder if Gmail, Outlook variants and the Android mail clients do?
>
> K9Mail for Android did, when last I used Android (many years ago.) Modern Outlook on
Windows does (or did, as of 2010.) I don't think I've ever used the GMail web interface for
anything beyond testing the GMail web interface, so I can't speak to it as a MUA for mailing
lists.