From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: Differing scores on spamassassin checks
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2018 16:41:59 GMT
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Computer Bob wrote:

> In this way, any user can move a mail to their .SpamLearn folder and it
> will get learned.

It is a very bad idea to do that without review unless you *strongly*
trust the judgement and responsibility of your users.

Allowing training without review may be suitable for a small subset of
trusted users, but in general, users will classify as spam "anything I
don't want" even if it's something they *did* subscribe to from a vendor
they *do* have a business relationship with.

The "learn as spam" folder will be treated as an easier alternative to
hitting the "unsubscribe" link in emails, in part because we've been
training users to *not* click on unsubscribe links in emails from
businesses they don't have any legitimate interaction with, and all they
hear is the "don't click on unsubscribe links" part - the other part
requires actual *judgement*.

Also: for performance reasons you really should relocate those messages
once they've been learned, but do keep those messages permanently as your
Bayes training corpus, so that (1) you can review the users'
classifications and correct any mistraining, and (2) you can easily
rebuild Bayes from scratch if it goes off the rails.

   Our government should bear in mind the fact that the American
   Revolution was touched off by the then-current government
   attempting to confiscate firearms from the people.
  2 days until the 243rd anniversary of The Shot Heard 'Round The World