From RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Doc Bug: Trusted_networks versus internal
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2018 15:36:32 GMT
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 18:08:50 -0700 (PDT)
Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I'm seeing conflicting information about what
> trusted_networks/internal_networks means.
> Here's my problem with the somewhat unclear docs:

> (https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TrustPath)
>
> Says:
>
> "Note that it doesn't matter if the server relays spam to you from
> other hosts; that still means you trust the server not to originate
> spam, which is what 'trusted_networks' specifies."

You are taking that out of context, the previous sentence is:

"... the same hosts and networks as 'internal_networks', with the
addition of some hosts that are external to your organisation which you
trust to not be under the control of spammers."

The important thing is "trust to not be under the control of spammers",
it follows that such a server doesn't originate spam or forge headers.

> (https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/ALL_TRUSTED?action=show&redirect=ALL_TRUSTED)
>
> Says:
>
> "Trusted" does not mean "trusted to not send spam." It means "trusted
> to not forge Received: headers."

Note that ALL_TRUSTED can include the case where a client authenticates
into the trusted network. In that case all of the Received headers are
trusted, but not all of the IP addresses are in the trusted network.