From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: ISIPP - Re: bb.barracudacentral.org
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:12:01 GMT
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 18 Sep 2017, at 12:14, Chris wrote:
> [...]
>> On Mon, 2017-09-18 at 11:11 -0400, Bill Cole wrote:
>>> Why are you asking 168.150.251.35 to do DNS resolution for you? It is
>>> not authoritative for isipp.com, so presumably you have a specific
>>> local config causing you to use it. It is explicitly refusing to do
>>> DNS resolution for you.
>>
>> I honestly have no idea where that came about.
>
> Do you have a local caching recursive DNS resolver? NOT dnsmasq and not
> anything configured to forward anywhere: A *REAL* recursive caching DNS
> resolver.

When discussing this topic I recommend avoiding the term "caching"
entirely. Mentioning that word distracts from the crucial "NOT FORWARDING"
part, even if you also say "recursive" as well...

We've all seen discussions of this get off-track because of that detail.

   If stress is going to kill me, I wish it would hurry up and
   get it over with.
  Tomorrow: Talk Like a Pirate day