From David Jones <djo...@ena.com>
Subject Re: MISSING_SUBJECT not triggered if subject contains whitespace
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2017 15:19:22 GMT
On 09/19/2017 09:35 AM, RW wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 10:05:44 -0400
> Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>
>> On 9/19/2017 9:11 AM, David Jones wrote:
>>> I have had these in place for years.  Maybe Kevin can consolidate
>>> and integrate this into his KAM.cf so I could remove them or we
>>> could eventually get them into the default SA ruleset after some
>>> testing.
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Thanks.  In addition to KAM.cf, I maintain a nonKAMrules.cf which
>> I've added these attributing them with the idea to test.  It's where
>> I throw rules in the PD from lists and things like that so I'm not
>> claiming ownership but like the ideas.
>>
>> Note, I lowered the score on the 1st two.  I'm pretty sure those
>> might cause more FPs than intended.
>>
>> https://www.pccc.com/downloads/SpamAssassin/contrib/nonKAMrules.cf
>

> The second should be changed to something like
>

>     /^\s\s+$/
>
> or
>
>    /^\s{2,999}$/
>

> The comment is a bit misleading
>
>    "Subject is empty or only spaces commonly used by spammers to get
>     around subject checks"
>
> since it doesn't check for an empty subject.

The word "empty" in the description was for the mail client showing what
seemed to be a blank or empty subject when it technically wasn't.  These
descriptions are shown to our Help Desk which will be less technical
than we are on this list.

Please feel free to update/change anything to make it better or to
follow common conventions.  I admit I was doing poor regex years ago and
have gotten better the past year.

--
David Jones