From Martin Gregorie <mar...@gregorie.org>
Subject Re: ISIPP - Re: bb.barracudacentral.org
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:15:30 GMT
On Tue, 2017-09-19 at 19:32 -0500, Chris wrote:
> Hi Martin, here's what I see:
>
> sudo systemctl status dnsmasq
> [sudo] password for chris:
> ● dnsmasq.service
>    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
> chris@localhost:~$ sudo systemctl enable dnsmasq
> Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
> chris@localhost:~$ sudo systemctl status dnsmasq
> ● dnsmasq.service
>    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
>    Active: inactive (dead)

Yes, that agrees with systemd not knowing about dnsmasq.

> I then installed dnsmasq (apparently it wasn't installed)

I don't know why you'd want to do that since you should be running
named instead of dnsmasq.

Delete the version you just installed via the apt package manager and
do a search and destroy mission to get rid of both the other copy of it
and the associated configuration.

Running "updatedb; locate dnsmasq" is probably the fastest way of
finding it and its associated files. Anything with a similar name in
/etc/init.d is probably its launcher script, so that can go too. If you
have an /etc/rc.local file, check its contents because its run as part
of the sysVinit process. It shouldn't have anything about dnsmasq in it
but you never know...

Martin