spamassassin-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Gerald Turner <gtur...@unzane.com>
Subject Re: Errors since upgrading to 3.4.1: "meta test ... with a zero score"
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2017 01:30:49 GMT
On Thu, Jun 15 2017, David Jones wrote:
> On 06/15/2017 06:42 PM, Gerald Turner wrote:
>> What could be the cause?
>>
>>    - Cruft left behind by old SA versions
>>      (e.g. /etc/spamassassin/v310.pre, /var/lib/spamassassin/3.003001,
>>      etc.)?
>
> Make sure you remove all old rule dirs like that
> one. /var/lib/spamassassin should only have your new 3.004001
> directory.

Interesting.  I had these files in /var/lib/spamassassin:

  # ls -l
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 May  5  2013 3.003001
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Apr 23  2015 3.003002
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 11 07:09 3.004000
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 15 06:47 3.004001
  drwxr-xr-x 6 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 11 13:25 compiled
  drwx------ 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 11 13:55 sa-update-keys

  # ls -l compiled
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Sep  3  2010 5.010
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 May  5  2013 5.014
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Apr 26  2015 5.020
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 11 13:25 5.024

I removed *all* of these directories except for sa-update-keys, then
re-ran sa-update and sa-compile, resulting in much cleaner
/var/lib/spamassassin directory:

  # ls -l
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 15 17:54 3.004001
  drwxr-xr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 15 17:55 compiled
  drwx------ 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 11 13:55 sa-update-keys

  # ls -l compiled
  drwxrwxr-x 3 debian-spamd debian-spamd 4096 Jun 15 17:55 5.024

>>    - Is there a bug with the project's sa-update channel / auto-
>>      mass-check setup?
>>
> I hope not.  I have spent dozens and dozens of hours getting the
> masscheck processing running again on a new server.  It seems to be
> working fine to me.  We tested for a couple of weeks before going live
> with sa-update updates recently.

I hope not either.  Apologies for insinuating updates are bugged.  Your
work on SA is much appreciated, thanks! :)

>> Any ideas?
>>
> 1. Clean up any old versions of rules in /var/lib/spamassassin.
> 2. Make sure that spamd is restarted to pickup the rule changes
> 3. Run this to find any issues:
>
> spamassassin -D --lint 2>&1 | grep -Ei '(failed|undefined dependency|score set
for non-existent rule)'

This resulted in:

  Jun 15 17:56:03.036 [12601] dbg: diag: [...] module not installed: Digest::SHA1 ('require'
failed)
  Jun 15 17:56:03.036 [12601] dbg: diag: [...] module not installed: Geo::IP ('require' failed)
  Jun 15 17:56:03.036 [12601] dbg: diag: [...] module not installed: Net::CIDR::Lite ('require'
failed)
  Jun 15 17:56:03.037 [12601] dbg: diag: [...] module not installed: Encode::Detect::Detector
('require' failed)
  Jun 15 17:56:03.037 [12601] dbg: diag: [...] module not installed: Net::Patricia ('require'
failed)
  Jun 15 17:56:03.945 [12601] dbg: config: warning: score set for non-existent rule FILL_THIS_FORM_FRAUD_PHISH
  Jun 15 17:56:03.945 [12601] dbg: config: warning: score set for non-existent rule RCVD_IN_SORBS_SPAM
  Jun 15 17:56:03.946 [12601] dbg: config: warning: score set for non-existent rule URI_OBFU_WWW

Much of these Perl modules are packaged as Recommends/Suggests metadata
to the Debian spamassassin package.  Installed all of them except for
for Digest::SHA1 - I believe there must have been a historical change
from Digest::SHA1 to Digest::SHA, and SA has compatibility to load
either - at least that's my understanding after poking around SA's
source a bit.

  [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libdigest-sha-perl:amd64 5.96-1+b1
  [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libencode-detect-perl:amd64 1.01-4+b3
  [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libgeo-ip-perl:amd64 1.50-1+b1
  [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libnet-patricia-perl:amd64 1.22-1+b3
  [INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libnet-cidr-lite-perl:amd64 0.21-1

Sadly, after this long overdue pass at SA cleanup, I still have the zero
score warnings:

  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __MONEY_FRAUD_8 has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero
score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __ADVANCE_FEE_2_NEW has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero
score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test FREEMAIL_FORGED_FROMDOMAIN has dependency 'HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS'
with a zero score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __ADVANCE_FEE_5_NEW has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero
score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __FORM_FRAUD has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __ADVANCE_FEE_3_NEW has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero
score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __MONEY_FRAUD_5 has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero
score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __FORM_FRAUD_3 has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __FORM_FRAUD_5 has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __ADVANCE_FEE_4_NEW has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero
score
  spamd[12588]: rules: meta test __MONEY_FRAUD_3 has dependency 'LOTTO_AGENT' with a zero
score

-- 
Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com>        Encrypted mail preferred!
OpenPGP: 4096R / CA89 B27A 30FA 66C5 1B80  3858 EC94 2276 FDB8 716D

Mime
View raw message