From "Kevin A. McGrail" <KMcGr...@PCCC.com>
Subject Re: List of legit mass mailers
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 14:32:55 GMT
On 3/8/2017 9:23 AM, Ruga wrote:
> This is spamassassin...
> We are against mass mailers.
No, we're not and you don't speak for the project.  Please do not do so.

In fact, I don't speak for the project but as a long-time project
contributor and chair emeritus, I have ALWAYS used the definition that
spam is about conSent not conTent.  I believe it was Chris Santerre that
gave that concept years ago and I've extrapolated on it over the years
especially for clarity on mass mailers and capitalism.

The key point is if you consented to receive it, it is not spam.  I
don't care if the content is the spammiest looking content in existence
today, that's a FP if it is blocked.

Legit mass marketers sending clear emails that have been conSented to
receive those messages are welcome and should be supported to the demise
of the illegitimate players.

Going further, as a capitalist, I have always extended concepts of
conSent to include:
- Requiring clear opt-in/opt-out checkboxes
- Requiring simply and quick unsubscribe mechanisms
- Implied consent for transactional information.  I.e. I buy something
from Macy's, Macy's can email me the 1-time receipt. Follow-up surveys,
coupons, etc. would require clear conSent noting that while I do not
like it, consent boxes that are checked ON by default are not a reason
to block.

My $0.02,
KAM