From RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: DNS Terminology
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:11:12 GMT
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:12:30 -0400
Bill Cole wrote:

> I have never seen the word "iterative" used to describe DNS recursion
> or any other DNS resolution algorithm except in the context of a
> resolver having multiple servers that it can query at a particular
> step of the resolution process

It's used that way in RFC1034 and practically every article on the
internet about DNS. I'm guessing that probably RFC1034 used
non-standard terminology and everyone else picked-up on that.

Whatever the right and wrongs of this I think the term recursive is
best avoided in this list. "Non-forwarding" is a lot clearer IMO.