From Dianne Skoll <...@roaringpenguin.com>
Subject Re: Matching infinite sets
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2016 17:50:08 GMT
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:44:42 -0700
Marc Perkel <support@junkemailfilter.com> wrote:

> This is nothing like bayes.

It's exactly like Bayes.  You're stumbling across a hacked version of
Bayes.  You seem to lack the mathematical background to see what you're
doing, thinking it's somehow fundamentally different.  But it's not.

> The real magic is the feedback learning.

Which is how Bayes works.

> So as it identifies ham it learns new words and phrases that then
> match email from other people.

Which is what Bayes does.

> So it learns how normal people speak, it learns how spammers speak,
> and it identifies the DIFFERENCES between the two. And it's
> completely automated.

You've just described Bayes.  Paul Graham used almost that exact language
14 years ago in his classic paper, http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html
Check out this paragraph:

    I'm more hopeful about Bayesian filters, because they evolve with the
    spam. So as spammers start using "c0ck" instead of "cock" to evade
    simple-minded spam filters based on individual words, Bayesian filters
    automatically notice. Indeed, "c0ck" is far more damning evidence than
    "cock", and Bayesian filters know precisely how much more.

Regards,

Dianne.