From "Bill Cole" <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com>
Subject Re: Email with attachment caused 100% CPU usage.
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2016 01:21:51 GMT
On 10 Jun 2016, at 3:40, Merijn van den Kroonenberg wrote:

>> On 9 Jun 2016, at 0:53, Henrik K wrote:
>>
>>> Garbage text/plain is known problem..
>>
>> text/html too. From GMail.
>>
>> Last week I had a *perfectly legitimate* message with a 151KB logical
>> single line of HTML (QP encoded of course) freeze up a server scaled
>> for
>> 10k users.
>> [snip]
>
> Are there publically available some mails which might cause these kind
> of
> problems? It would be interesting for testing set-ups.

Not that I'm aware of. This particular case involved a customer
organization who I wouldn't ever consider asking to share their mail for
any reason, as they specialize in a field where the privacy issues would
be insurmountable.

One could mock up such messages by hand rather easily: find & copy or
create (maybe Word would be a choice tool for this...) a bloated HTML
page, replace all the line breaks with spaces in a proper text editor.
Attach that to an email message or just make it the sole body part of a
pure text/html message.

It  MAY be that this was a case where someone  wrote something big-ish
and highly-formatted inside GMail or Google Docs and mailed it so the
structure is GMail's fault. It could also be that some MUA or document
generation tool constructed the mail and it came through GMail via SMTP
submission. I do not know which it is but I would bet on the latter,
given Google's core expertise in working with HTML. My reflexes in these
sorts of cases where I have to handle customer non-spam mail are to not
look too closely at anything non-critical to solving the problem at hand
and swiftly forget anything unimportant I happen to see (which gets
easier every year...)