From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: HEADS-UP: MIME_NO_TEXT matches Sendmail MIME DSNs
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:20:15 GMT
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, David B Funk wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>>  On 29 Mar 2016, at 19:36, John Hardin wrote:
>>
>> >  Can you send me some samples?
>>
>>  Probably. Tomorrow. Afternoon. When I can spin up a bullshit VM (what
>>  still uses sendmail with a default workingish config?) or sanitize
>>  examples made via real stuff.
>>
>>  OR: if you can submit mail through a Sendmail instance, send mail to any
>>  bad address anywhere on any machine running any MTA, all it has to do is
>>  say '5yz blah blah we hate you' to some part of your attempt to send mail.
>>  On any machine with a working classical Sendmail-managed mail subsystem
>>  you can just do 'echo "foo" |mailx -s 'any subject'
>>  nonexistent@non-local.but.existing.domain' and get one of your very own
>>  for a bogus address of your choice delivered to
>>  /var/spool/mail/yournamehere or somewhere like that. Unless your Sendmail
>>  is configured to not send MIME DSNs. In that case, fire your sysadmin.
>
> I tried your experiment (sent mail to "no-such-user213@hotmail.com" ),
> got the DSN, fed it to SA and didn't see any hits on MIME_NO_TEXT. Saw a
> hit on T_TVD_MIME_NO_HEADERS but that has no score.
>
> Now my original message was a CT: text/plain. Maybe if the original
> message had no textural components at all it might fire as you describe
> but I think it would be an unusual message to have no text, html, etc at
> all.

Same here. I think that's the situation: the message that bounced has to
not have any text/plain parts.

I'll edit the bounce I generated and see if that will cause it to hit.

   A government is a lot like a gun: It's always loaded,
   and it's stupid and dangerous to point it at anything
   you don't intend to hurt.                             -- GOF at TSM
  2 days until April Fools' day