From Yves Goergen <nospam.l...@unclassified.de>
Subject clamav-unofficial-sigs not helping in a spam flood
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2016 17:50:42 GMT
Hello,

I'm getting more and more spam every day and SpamAssassin can't handle
it. Most of it looks very similar but it isn't filtered out.

I've set up clamav-unofficial-sigs recently by installing the Ubuntu
package. My MTA is configured so that anything detected by clamav is
declared a virus and rejected immediately. I also get a report of
virus-rejected mails. But it doesn't catch a single message. Maybe one
out of a hundred in a week.

How can I verify that the clamav-unofficial-sigs package is set up
properly? Or is it not useful in these situations with today's spam?

What other solutions are there to improve the detection rate of
SpamAssassin? My current spam-to-useful ratio in some mailboxes is
somewhere around 10:1. That's close to the point of abandoning e-mail
and reverting to telephone and snailmail. The rate of spam phone calls
is a lot lower, and that's not considering the filter.

Examples of the subjects from the recent days:

    FW: Order RF#391032
    Document2
    FW: Payment Receipt
    Sixt Invoice: 6502444876 from 24.03.2016
    Attached document(s)
    FW: Payment Details - [223434]
    Image9876411149045.pdf
    Voicemail from 07730881627 <07730881627> 00:00:24
    FW: Order Status #022412
    FW: Payment #092161
    FW: Confirmation #388194

All of the messages have attachments, but I can't block all attachments
completely.

Does grey-listing still work today? Is there an easy way to enable it in
either SpamAssassin or Exim? I don't want to fiddle around with
databases and such for days in a running system.

Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.software