From a.@satester.com
Subject Re: SA Rule Tester/Checker
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2015 23:59:07 GMT
On 2015-07-17 16:49, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> We use maildir most of the time on our servers. Is that a problem or
>> are you referring to a mbox file on a client machine? I never ran
>> spamassassin on a client before. Sorry, just trying to understand your
>> test environment.
>
> I usually am working and researching based on submissions.  Your mail
> flow might differ but mutt supports maildir.

Yea sorry I'm totally lost. It happens. Do you test on a production
server, other (test) server, or local mbox with Mutt as your client? By
submissions, do you mean customer submissions of FP and FN hits
submitted by users?

>> I looked for regression_tests.cf but I couldn't find it in any
>> directory on my server.
> You likely need an svn checkout of trunk to get it.

Understood, that will probably get me on the right path.

> Exactly.  It's in addition to your cf files now and adds that
> regression testing layer to see if they do what you expect.  And if
> you get a new spam in the same vein, you add the string, modify the
> rule and see if it still works on your old patterns and the new, etc.

Wow, I can now obviously see how that can be useful. I will definitely
give it a try.

>> There really isn't much out there on the subject that is clear enough
>> for someone getting started. I'm not sure I'm Wiki material, but I may
>> try to put together a few basic howto's that interested folks can be
>> pointed to on occasions like this.
>
> Anything is better than a vacuum!
> All about combatting spam!

Yeppers!