From Amir Caspi <ceph...@3phase.com>
Subject Re: Macs/Yosemite can no longer send abuse reports
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2015 16:46:29 GMT
On Jun 29, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Kris Deugau <kdeugau@vianet.ca> wrote:

> Ben wrote:
>
>> Second, I'm becoming less and less of a buyer on the whole "report it to
>> the ISP" malarky.  Its starting to become a bit of a 1990's way of doing
>> it.   I increasingly find myself wondering whether ISPs actually bother
>> to read abuse mails or whether they get filtered straight to /dev/null.
>
> *nod*  Unfortunately true;  reporting to third parties is largely
> ineffective.  I've even had abuse reports rejected as spam, either due
> to the content of the spam or for simply including the original as a
> proper attachment that "could be malicious".

For these reasons, I have also given up reporting directly to third parties. However, I do
still report to SpamCop on occasion... this serves multiple purposes (though their effectiveness
is unknown, but anyway), since it will automatically generate a report to the ISP if the ISP
accepts them, it automatically removes my identifying information from the report so spammers
can't easily harvest my address from the report, any bounces are handled by SpamCop, and it
adds the IP to the SpamCop RBL for either MTA rejection or SA score enhancement.

The utility of SpamCop reports may not be high these days... but that single reporting mechanism
performs a number of functions, so it's at least better (IMHO) than reporting to the ISP directly.

Cheers.

--- Amir
thumbed via iPhone