From "Bill Cole" <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com>
Subject Re: Cron <smmsp@thebighonker> /home/ler/bin/update-bayes.sh
Date Sat, 06 Jun 2015 17:55:25 GMT
On 6 Jun 2015, at 6:16, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Well, referencing an rfc is good but please remember rfc 1121 where we
> can extrapolate that robustness and contravariance overrides because
> your statements are contrary to the behavior of mua's which DO
> highlight the urls.
>
> See my screenshot attqched of k9 where all 7 of your bad examples
> highlighted as links.  I expect similar behavior with other mua's as
> well.

Sure. As I recall, MS was so impressed with the ancient "email virus"
hoax that when they wrote Outlook they made sure to make it possible.
And when Apple saw how horribly Outlook handled format=flowed mail they
stopped generating it and slavishly replicated Outlook's shoddiness even
as MS was fixing it.

MUAs are shoddy garbageware, generally worth less than what users pay
for them. That has it true now and always has been, to at least three
9's. K-9 is no exception, despite nothing on Android being better when
last I looked. I understand the rationale that it makes sense to filter
as a domain anything some crap MUA activates as a link but that approach
creates unbounded scope creep because there's no limit to how horribly
risky MUAs can be.

> But hey, while I might disagree with you, the project is open source.
> Sign a CLA,

Did that bit the last time you suggested it, May 6 (bug 7005). But...

> work up a patch, Add an option to flag only uris prefixed with a
> protocol, document it well, implement the function where it is need,
> test it and submit it for inclusion.

My stream of time slices fit for coding doesn't even qualify as a
stream. I'll be lucky if I can find the right point of attack for this
this month, no idea when I'd actually be able to write anything worth
submitting.