From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: sa-update cron failure
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2015 23:37:37 GMT
On Thu, 5 Feb 2015, Bob Proulx wrote:

> John Hardin wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>>> And that is also why I don't understand the move from /bin/* to
>>> /usr/bin/* and the same for lib and others.  That makes the "usr" part
>>> completely useless.  It would be better to move everything from
>>> /usr/bin/* up to /bin/* instead and the same for lib and the others.
>>
>> It lets you distinguish between OS utilites and application executables.
>
> How?  Please say more?  That one sentence is just too vague and
> ambiguous to know what you mean here.  Sorry.

OS utilities (e.g. sh, bash) go under /bin, applications (e.g. Firefox,
Inkscape) go under /usr/bin.

That way you can mount /bin read-only unless you're performing an OS
upgrade.

   Programming is an art form that fights back.  -- Kevin S. Gallagher
  7 days until Abraham Lincoln's and Charles Darwin's 206th Birthdays