From Yves Goergen <nospam.l...@unclassified.de>
Subject Re: Blocking .exe in zips (was Re: Lots of Polish spam)
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 22:28:25 GMT
Am 25.02.2015 um 23:04 schrieb Dave Warren:
> On 2015-02-25 12:18, David F. Skoll wrote:
>> So far, no major complaints.  The few who really need to send such files
>> rename them to .ex_ before zipping them up.  We have a fairly large
>> userbase (more than 140,000) so I think we would have heard lots of
>> complaints by now if people really couldn't live with the policy.
>
> Seconded. I run a small hosting company with email for hundreds of
> clients, I've had a grand total of 0 complaints about blocking EXE, SCR,
> COM and similar types. We maybe get one inquiry per year about it, but
> no one has ever had a problem with .ex_ solutions, and they generally
> understand and appreciate the approach.
>
> It scales up to large installations as well, Google blocks executable
> files (even if zipped) too, and they seem to be doing alright in the
> email world: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en

That's an interesting point, I wouldn't have thought it could work. I
was thinking about installing a "private" file sharing website for our
users already (ad-free and with authentication only), so that could go
together well with an announcement that executable files would no longer
be allowed in e-mails.

--
Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.software