From Axb <axb.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lots of Polish spam
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:32:27 GMT
On 02/25/2015 01:42 AM, Alex Regan wrote:
> Hi,

>>> I really thought clamav was much better. Can you recommend a antivirus
>>> other than Sophos that works well with Linux/Fedora?
>>>
>>> Sophos is a no-go with Fedora, apparently
>>
>> as explained repeatly in this thread: ClamAV is a *fraemwork* and works
>> well if you load the right signatures
>>
>> even SpamAssassin *is just a framework* without Bayes, URIBL, DNSBL and
>> shared hash deployments far away from useable as a "ready solution"
>>
>> if you build up a spamfilter you can't just use anything out of the box
>> and think you are done without invest in configuration and additional
>> signatures as well as *learining* from real mail flow
>
> Yes, I *am* already using the additional signatures from sanesecurity
> and others. I've started to notice the efficacy suffering over the past
> months as users have been complaining and comments on this list (I
> assumed those that were commenting were also using the third-party
> signatures).
>
> I'm also just looking for a secondary scanner in addition to clamav to
> run in parallel to see how it compares...

You may want to look into Cyren (was Commtouch) though it's NOT cheap.

http://www.cyren.com/tl_files/downloads/CYREN-AntiVirus-for-Email.pdf

also Dr. Web is suprisingly good for the price
https://www.drweb.com/?lng=en

I've also been using F-Prot for years and it catches quite a few corner
cases and for the price it's well worth it.

If anybody expects to get *cheap* multi-layer AV, forget it.