From Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net>
Subject Re: Honeypot email addresses
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:05:55 GMT
That's a lot of work, there's a much easier way

Just search your /var/log/maillog for user unknown messages, and
create email addresses for the unknown users which are showing up
multiple times over multiple days.  It's a great trick because it gets
spammers who already have email addresses in their
spamlists and who are too lazy to remove them when they get a
user unknown message from the mailserver.

I have a pretty old domain - I've seen user unknown messages for
users who cancelled mailboxes on the domain over a decade ago.  I figure
10 years of getting user unknown messages is long enough for any real
humans and for legitimate mailing lists to remove those entries.

Ted