From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: Missing Modules
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 15:17:55 GMT

Am 13.11.2014 um 15:55 schrieb Axb:
> On 11/13/2014 03:42 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>> 6.4 is old - centos 6.6
>>> (do you seriously make a point of running old versions?)

>>> forget SA from YUM /Distro packages. - it ties you to, as Benny sez,
>>> "precompiled problems" :)
>>
>> bad advise, in you are doing that throw away CentOS and just use Fedora,
>> it has at least recent SA packages and a recent userland make
>> upgrades/builds in the future easier
>>
>> grab the src.rpm, replace the tarball with the recent and take this as
>> starting point - frankly that way you get first the list of all missing
>> "BuildRequires" and at the end a recent SA RPM package with clear deps
>> and a clean system
>>
>> doing that for apache, mysql, php, postfix, dovecot, dbmail,
>> mod_security and a lot of other packages for many years to override
>> distro packages without break the system over time
>
> blah, blah, blah... I'm trying to save the guy's ass so he gets a
> working server with least effort

least effort *now* but in 3 years on that machine...

> and you're suggesting he change distro

no, i just said if you bypass the package management, bring manual
downloaded packages from unsafe 3rd party repos if you enable them
unconditional in the mix youre defeating the whole purpose of RHEL

> make RPMs when he already has trouble deciding if optional packages ar
> required or not? Lets be real...

rebuild the src.rpm with a new tarball answers that question because it
specifies dependecies, even for the build itself

> Pls stay in your hole

wow

> and allow me to get this guy off this thread

so allow me to make clear that bypass the package managagement over the
long may not be a good idea - building a RPM the first time may take
longer but it keeps your setup maintainable for many years

there is a difference between *you* as upstream developer knowing all
the pieces, dependencies and programming language very well and a
ordinary enduser