From Dominic Benson <domi...@lenny.cus.org>
Subject Fwd: Dealing with a bad network device affecting DNS lookups
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:16:19 GMT
(Accidentally off list, sorry)

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dominic Benson <dominic@lenny.cus.org>
> Date: 15 July 2014 22:59:14 BST
> To: Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com>
> Subject: Re: Dealing with a bad network device affecting DNS lookups
>

>> On 15 Jul 2014, at 22:46, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com> wrote:
>>
>> --On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:41 PM -0700 John Hardin <jhardin@impsec.org>
wrote:

>>> What does RackSpace IT say when you complain to them about this
>>> misbehavior?
>>
>> I've been complaining about it since last October.  Supposedly it will be fixed by
the end of this month.  In the meantime, I still have floods of spam coming in that I'd like
scored correctly.

>> --Quanah
>
> The only way around I can suggest would be to create a [VPN] tunnel out to a system on
another network, and use it as a forwarder for your nameserver. That would stop it from being
intercepted. Forwarding to a nameserver on a different network using a different port might
also work.

> You would need to have control over something on a network that behaves, though.
>
> (Is intercepting DNS a standard Rackspace thing, or is there some service/option/circumstance
that causes you to be affected?)