From hospice admin <hospice...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: Advice re- SA 3.4.0
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2014 11:09:24 GMT

> Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 12:49:32 +0200
> From: axb.lists@gmail.com
> To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Advice re- SA 3.4.0
>
> On 06/07/2014 12:19 PM, hospice admin wrote:
> > Just wondering if anyone had any advice along the lines "you really
> > must do this", or "you'd be crazy to do that" re- all the new stuff,
> > etc?
> >

> > I'm particularly 'interested' in things relating to Bayes, which has
> > bitten me in the rear so many times, but seems to have migrated over
> > faultlessly.
>

> For my setup one of the best new features has been the Redis backend for
> Bayes.
>
> Although it requires a ton of memory (which is cheap) it allows keeping
> a *huge* amount of tokens for a long time without a decrease in
> performance.
>
> Feeding it trap data as spam with different expiration time than ham via
> autolearn has made Bayes way more useful.
>
> 0.000 0 22712317 0 non-token data: nspam
> 0.000 0 10031781 0 non-token data: nham
>

> try that with sql or file based Bayes - it wouldn't scale and it could
> probably cause scan times in many, many seconds/msg range
>
> Bayes/Redis is so fast I don't notice a performance difference if I
> enable it or not.
> So depending on your traffic load, imo, it's become a must have.
>
> also forced autolearn has helped a lot with failsafe metas/rules
>
> tflags RULE_NAME autolearn_force
>
> h2h
>
> Axb

Thanks. That sounds like great advice.

I was wondering about this one and had put it to one side until I had a chance to look at
the memory implications in more detail. We run a VM infrastructure here, so I'll load it up
on one server and keep throwing resources at it until I have something approaching stability.

An almost related item ... have you found the 'RelayCountry' plugin to be worth the effort?

Thanks again

Judy.