From Tom Hendrikx <...@whyscream.net>
Subject Re: Plans for a DMARC plugin ???
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:43:54 GMT
On 04/30/2014 01:36 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 4/30/2014 7:15 AM, Michael Storz wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, your answers are very helpful for solving the problems we are
>> facing.
> On a related note, if you need, I did implement a modification routine
> for mailman in mimedefang.  Code published at
> http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2014-April/037324.html
>
> As for an SA plugin, I think it will be needed but I believe it is just
> an overlay on top of existing DKIM and SPF information.
>
> If you open a bug for the plugin with your list of desired features,
> that would be good.
>
> Otherwise, to me, I think the features are:
>
> - Make sure SPF and DKIM are enabled
> - Check those results
> - Check the DMARC policy
> - If policy is reject or quarantine and the SPF/DKIM fails, give a
> fairly high score to a rule
>
> Beyond that, I doubt I would support a reporting mechanism.  Like
> reporting viruses, the likelihood of causing a problem and not notifying
> the correct person is far higher.

The reporting mechanism is working fine in DMARC, you don't have to
guess based on message headers or SMTP envelope. The report recipient is
well defined, so no reason not to send reports. Making it easy to send
(aggregated) reports is probably a bit harder. I did not take a look at
Matt Simersons code but I might take a stab at it.

Tom