From "Kevin A. McGrail" <KMcGr...@PCCC.com>
Subject Re: New expensive Regexps
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 22:34:01 GMT
On 2/6/2014 6:38 AM, Torge Husfeldt wrote:
> recently, we're experiencing very high loads on our spamassassin-cluster.
> What struck us in the search for a possible culprits were the recent
> addition of the tests named
> SINGLE_HEADER_\dK
>
> All of which haver extremely low scores in our contect (nonet, nobayes).
> From our point of view it would be favorable to have such expensive
> tests in a separate *.cf-file as this makes it much easier to omit
> them in the rollout-process.
I've discussed it with Alex a bit but one of my next ideas for the Rules
QA process is the following:

- we measure and report on metrics for the rules that are promoted such
as rank (existing), computational expense, time spent on rule.
- this information is then included with the rules update in a machine
readable manner
- more (all?) rules are added to the tar ball
- sa-update is changed to use thresholds for rank, expense, time so an
administrator runs sa-update with the specific parameters creating a
more customized rule installation per server

This let's us start putting more rules in there and let administrators
cater to their desires/hardware/etc.

The defaults with sa-update for thresholds would give the same updates
based on the existing thresholds used now.

Regards,
KAM