From Karsten Br├Ąckelmann <guent...@rudersport.de>
Subject Re: Problems with BCCing from spammers
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2013 01:22:24 GMT
On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 09:53 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> > it is *not* a bug. It's not SA's task to split a msg to multiple rcpts.
> > Your glue (hack) or MTA (best) should do this.
>
> It IS a bug since the software is not acting according to how it's
> documented or expected.  That is the definition of a software bug.
>
> You can argue that it's a documentation bug and I might agree but it's
> still a bug

See the M::SA::Conf [1] docs, option whitelist_to. The expected behavior
and headers considered are clearly listed.

Please show some evidence, that SA is acting in violation to its
documentation, and that none of the listed headers contain an address in
your whitelist_to / all_spam_to configuration.

> An option stating "all_spam_to" followed by the email address of the
                                                                   ^^^
> RECIPIENT is basically stating that ONLY mail sent TO the recipient will
> be exempted.

Let me re-emphasize that: "THE recipient". Who is "the" recipient of a
message with multiple recipients? At which point is it "the" recipient,
before or after local alias expansion?

Regardless, the whitelist_to option is not about THE recipient, but A
recipient. The first sentence of documentation shows this:

 "If the given address appears as a recipient in the message headers
  (Resent-To, To, Cc, obvious envelope recipient, etc.) the mail will be
  whitelisted."

> It would be better to have the option
>
> "all_spam_to_envelope_recipient"

Patches accepted.

> with the explanation that the recipient is who is being passed on the
> envelope To: not the To: in the header, or something like that, but
> the option as it stands implies the To: in the header, and that
> implication should be disabused in the documentation for the config
> file, at the very least.

It only implies (referring exclusively to) the To header, if one fails
to read the documentation -- absolutely clearly listing 12 headers.

(c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0;
}}}