From Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net>
Subject Re: MariaDB instead of MySQL
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 20:19:48 GMT
On 5/17/2013 8:45 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> Marc Perkel skrev den 2013-05-17 17:38:
>
>> I have a dedicated SQL server with 32 gigs of ram so I have the
>> resources to handle it.
>
> that is not my point, one single mysql to more then one server will die
> sonner or later, if i had the resouces you have i would have running
> mysql on all the 7 servers, and replicate it

Running 7 instances of mysql on 7 crappy servers isn't as good in my
opinion as running 1 instance of mysql on a great server.

none of my FreeBSD servers that are on solid hardware with maintenance
have ever died unexpectedly, and I have run FreeBSD servers in the past
with 2-3 YEARS of uptime.  Not something I'm particularly proud of
since it shows I haven't applied security patches like I should have,
but I do love to rub it in the faces of my windows-only admin friends
from time to time.

If you assume that your going to need to refresh the hard drives every
3 years in a server, and the power supply fans every 6 years, UPS
batteries every 2.5 years, and you keep it in a cool and low-dust
environment, then 8-10 years of life uninterrupted by unexpected crashes
is quite achievable for a PC server.

Also you have to balance the criticality of the app with the cost
of a redundant solution.  I don't think that spam filtering is that
critical of an application that it can't go down for a few hours,
and it's not like Bays filtering data is hyper-critical, if you lose
the last few days who cares?

The server that the mailboxes are on is far more critical.

Ted