From "David F. Skoll" <...@roaringpenguin.com>
Subject Re: Default Bayes Database
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 14:06:16 GMT
On Sat, 11 May 2013 16:28:16 +0200
Benny Pedersen <me@junc.eu> wrote:

> i think David missed one more word, no share ?

OK, here's my point.  In 2004, I was as skeptical as most others on this
list that a shared Bayes database would be useful.  Then I read the USENIX
LISA '04 paper by Blosser and Josephsen that described a very good experience
with a shared Bayes database.

So we went back to our office and implemented a mechanism for sharing Bayes
data and (much to my surprise at the time) it worked very well.

You are free to disagree with me, but I would expect you to disagree based
on actual evidence and experience rather than just a gut feeling.

I think a mechanism for sharing Bayes data would be a very useful addition
to SpamAssassin.  Having one foot in the free software world with MIMEDefang
and another in the proprietary world with CanIt puts me in a somewhat
awkward position, but I'd be happy to talk about our design even if I can't
really contribute code.

Regards,

David.