From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: Spamassassin not parsing email messages
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:42:59 GMT
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012, Sean Tout wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I wrote every email read to an output file. The output file is identical to
> the input file I'm reading the emails from according to diff!

The concern is the format of the single mail object being sent to
SpamAssassin for scanning. Having the very first line of that object be a
blank line would explain the "misformatted message" rule hits you've
reported.

Capturing the entire mailbox and running a diff is certainly suggestive,
but to be *sure* you want to look at the messages individually.

If you capture that one mail object to a file, and it is a
properly-formatted RFC-822 message with no leading blank lines, and you
can successfully pipe that file through SA and get a sensible score, then
the problem is not in the data, it's how it's being fed to SpamAssassin
within that script.

   The more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more
   likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to
   hasten the process.                                 -- James Lileks
  211 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)