From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: How to report a spam botnet
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:49:12 GMT
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, Robert A. Ober wrote:

> On 11/20/12 6:29 AM, Jason Ede wrote:
>>  However, ISP's blocking smtp ports for suspected spammers would help...
>>  Ideally they'd block all traffic on port 25 or 587 not sent through their
>>  SMTP engine which would do some basic spam checks...
> ____________________________________
>
> Which might block my legitimate server and some of my clients who are on
> Comcast Business.  This has been brought up frequently but is a bad idea.
> Too often folks in larger organizations forget about us little guys.

Comcast Business would probably have different default policies than
Comcast Residential. Also, ISP's doing this *should* have an
exception-by-request policy.

   Men by their constitutions are naturally divided in to two parties:
   1. Those who fear and distrust the people and wish to draw all
   powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who
   identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them,
   cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not
   the most wise, depository of the public interests.
                                                   -- Thomas Jefferson
  173 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)