From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: latest rules
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:37:27 GMT
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, James wrote:

> On 09/23/12 18:28, John Hardin wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, James wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote this little script to update the bayes rules. I can do this on my imap
account but my pop3 account gets way more spam and the messages are no longer on the machine
with sa once I pop them off.

>>> Any comments on my script?
>>
>> Bear in mind that spams which don't score high enough to be quarantined or discarded
will end up in your inbox, as will false negatives. Training all of the mail in all of your
inboxes as ham will train these messages as ham and make any small error in classification
much worse over time.

> I will manually move spam to an Junk (not a .INBOX*

Good.

>> During the initial training period you want to manually review messages and build
a ham corpus and a spam corpus. Once bayes is running you generally only want to train on
misclassified messages. This decisionmaking process cannot be automated, or the errors wouldn't
occur in the first place.

>> You should set up per-user train-as-ham and train-as-spam mailboxes, and only train
from those, only for the users whose judgement you trust. Then, those users should copy misclassified
messages to the appropriate folder and may also add samples of ham to the train-as-ham folder
whenever desired.

> The only user is me. :-)

:) Should be easy then.

> Is there a way to convert my Thurderbird bayes to spamassassin?

Not that I know of.

   Joan Peterson is like that: you expect at least a pseudological
   argument, but instead you get the weird ramblings of a woman with
   the critical thinking abilities of an 18th century peasant.  -- Ken
  115 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)