From "David F. Skoll" <...@roaringpenguin.com>
Subject Re: SPF_FAIL
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:45:08 GMT
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:19:04 +0000
Martin Gregorie <martin@gregorie.org> wrote:

> The only sensible use of SPF is to prevent backscatter.

Agreed.

> This seems to work well now that most domains are running SPF-aware
> MTAs.

Disagreed.  I don't believe SPF has cut backscatter down by
more than a few percentage points.  The vast majority of Exchange
installations don't even reject invalid RCPT commands
(http://david.skoll.ca/blog/2010-12-29-microsoft-dumbness.html)
In fact, I believe this is true even of Microsoft's Hosted Exchange
offering.

There is such an incredibly deep well of ignorance and stupidity among
Microsoft administrators and software designers that it will take
many years of hard work to improve things, if it can even be done at all.

Regards,

David.