From "Alex B." <>
Subject Re: Minimal server specs for SA question
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:59:59 GMT

On 2011-10-03, at 6:08 AM, Simon Loewenthal <> wrote:

> Hi there,
>    I have to set-up a few low power SA boxes. Currently I'm used to
> using Intel Xeon 2.6Ghz with 16Gb of memory, but these proposed boxes
> are small.  I won't buy one unless I know it can do the job.  I know the
> figures below are tiny, but I don't know the Intel Atoms and what they
> can really do.
> # of active Email addresses (excluding Email aliases) : 80
> # of messages (including rejected) appox 3,500 daily
> running : Debian/ SA 3.3.1 and spamass-milter  (with MTA postfix,
> clamav-milter).
> hardware:
> 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom E660  (1 core, 2 threads)
> 1024Mb RAM
> Transcend mSATA SSD 32Gb MLC
> Cheers for any commentary.
> Best regards, Simon.

I would also recommend turning off as many network checks as possible in SA due to redundant
and blocking I/O taking up the majority of SA's processing times.

You could also try enabling the compile rule plugin (Rules2XS I believe?) and running sa-compile,
however, our in-production benchmarks did not record any performance increases, but it may
help you squeeze some slight fraction of performance increase from your server.

View raw message