From Andrzej Adam Filip <andrzej.fi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lowering spam threshold [avoid discarding at high cost]
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:33:50 GMT
John Hardin <jhardin@impsec.org> wrote:

>>> That seems a little aggressive to me. Personally I'd prefer a larger
>>> margin of error for FPs, and would set the discard level to 9 or 10
>>> (unless the "evasive actions" include "quarantine for review").
>>
>> "evasive actions" do indeed include quarantine. No-quarantine-cutoff is set at 20,
which may be a bit high, but we got room for it.

> So, tag at 5.2, quarantine at 6.2, discard at 20? That sounds
> reasonable to me, assuming the quarantine is readily accessible for
> review.

If you want to treat email as *RELIABLE* delivery service then
avoid discarding at high cost - reject in SMTP session to make
*sending host* responsible for sending bounce message.
[ It can be done using milters with both sendmail and postfix ]

I do remember situation in which receiving MTA simply discarded
important message from one of my users and it took a few days for
sender *and recipient* to find out that message has been silently
discarded:
*sender assumed that recipient reads it in silence,
* recipient assumed in silence that those [...] longer have not sent it yet

I can treat it as funny *today* but it was not funny.

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu
The power to destroy a planet is insignificant when compared to the