From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: FuzzyOCR
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:32:32 GMT
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:01:51 -0700 (PDT)
> John Hardin <jhardin@impsec.org> wrote:
>
>> All I can think of at this point is permissions issues somehow.
>
> The FuzzyOcr/Misc.pm might be masking the real exit code.  It evals a bunch
> of Perl code in the child process and then:
>
>          # couldn't open file descriptors or exec failed
>          chomp($@); my($msg) = "save_execute: $@\n";
>          # try to get some attention, log and stderr may be closed
>          POSIX::write(2,$msg,length($msg));  print STDERR $msg;
>          POSIX::_exit(8);  # must avoid END and destructor processing!
>
> So anything in that eval before the exec() could be dying, or the exec
> could be failing... we have no idea.
>
> (That's some of the worst Perl code I've read in a while, btw...)

Some googling on "fuzzyocr 2048" was leading me to suspect that as well.

I just now went back to the OP's very first message containing the full
log, and noticed this:

> save_execute: Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at /etc/mail/spamassassin/FuzzyOcr/Misc.pm
line 92.
> save_execute: Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at /etc/mail/spamassassin/FuzzyOcr/Misc.pm
line 92.

This is relevant and may be the cause. I was gooling "fuzzyocr 2048" and
saw mention of this, but didn't realize that it was relevant here.

polloxx, hit this URL; I remember seeing various patches for FuzzyOCR to
address this.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fuzzyocr+2048+%22insecure+dependency%22+patch

You said you're using debain squeeze...

The debian maintainers claim it's fixed in 3.6.0-2. Did FuzzyOCR get
updated when you ran your apt-get?

And my apologies for not getting to this point earlier.

   Where are my space habitats? Where is my flying car?
   It's 2010 and all I got from the SF books of my youth is
   the lousy dystopian government.                         -- perlhaqr
  3 days until the 66th anniversary of the dawn of the Atomic Age