From John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org>
Subject Re: Lowering spam threshold [avoid discarding at high cost]
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 17:21:53 GMT
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:

> John Hardin <jhardin@impsec.org> wrote:

>>> "evasive actions" do indeed include quarantine. No-quarantine-cutoff is set at
20, which may be a bit high, but we got room for it.

>> So, tag at 5.2, quarantine at 6.2, discard at 20? That sounds
>> reasonable to me, assuming the quarantine is readily accessible for
>> review.
>
> If you want to treat email as *RELIABLE* delivery service then
> avoid discarding at high cost - reject in SMTP session to make
> *sending host* responsible for sending bounce message.
> [ It can be done using milters with both sendmail and postfix ]

Granted, and agreed. I was using "discard" generically here.

> I do remember situation in which receiving MTA simply discarded
> important message from one of my users and it took a few days for
> sender *and recipient* to find out that message has been silently
> discarded:
> *sender assumed that recipient reads it in silence,
> * recipient assumed in silence that those [...] longer have not sent it yet
>
> I can treat it as funny *today* but it was not funny.

Nope. Especially when they're CEOs.

   The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that the stupid
   desire to remain ignorant.                             -- Jim Bacon
  12 days until the 42nd anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon