From John Hardin <>
Subject Re: Reduce filtering time by white-listing
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:15:22 GMT
On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Kārlis Repsons wrote:

> On Thursday 07 July 2011 14:16:00 Axb wrote:
>> On 2011-07-07 16:10, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
>>> If whitelist_auth, about 16 secs (hashes are still computed and
>>> compared!).
>> I assume you're not using local resolver or you have a thin/throttled
>> pipe (many DSL routers dislike UDP floods). That could explain those 16
>> sec.
> But I talk about smth else: why are hashes still computed... I've
> whitelist_auth-ed an address, but anyway...

You're misunderstanding what whitelisting does in SA. All it does is add a
large negative score component to the message's overall score. A
whitelisted sender _could_ still send spam if, for instance, their account
got cracked.

If you want to reduce scanning time you can do two things:

(1) Investigate short circuiting

(2) Whitelist correspondents in your MTA, so that those messages don't get
passed into SA in the first place. How you do that depends on your MTA and
your glue.

  John Hardin KA7OHZ              FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a
   My sidearm is a piece of emergency equipment. It absolutely must
   be reliable, not "smart".
  Today: Robert Heinlein's 104th birthday