From Andrzej Adam Filip <andrzej.fi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DUL/DUL+ redesign to improve DNS cache hit ratio [SA v. MTA]
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 06:15:47 GMT
"David F. Skoll" <dfs@roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:26:16 +0200
> Andrzej Adam Filip <andrzej.filip@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Would you recommend redesigning (mainly) DUL/DUL+ DNSBL lists to
>> improve DNS cache hit ratio?
>
> No, not really.  The poor cache hit ratio doesn't seem to be a problem
> in practice (most people were surprised by the results).  If you have
> a high-enough lookup volume that it does become a problem, you just arrange
> to obtain (or buy) the data and run a local authoritative name server.

You are most likely right in case of SA asking all configured DNSBL to
generate spam score - improvement of some/minority DNS cache hit ration
would not be impressive in improving overall preference.
  *BUT*
It may improve performance e.g. in case of hundredths mail servers in a
data/co-location center using shared forwarder and rejecting on first
DNSBL hit. Somehow I doubt buying data for such "reseller" configuration
is legally encouraged  by paid DNSBL operators.

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu
Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the men are strong, the women are pretty,