From Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec...@ijs.si>
Subject Re: little off topic monitoring question
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:24:31 GMT
Shane,

> We would like to start monitoring our two smtp servers. They are fairly
> busy boxes, maybe 100,000 messages a day, give or take several thousand.
> They of course run Spamassassin, Postfix is also used. We use MRTG to
> monitor internal servers and switches, and would really like something
> with a similar graph.

If you are using amavisd to call SpamAssassin (instead of spamd), then
there is a huge number of SNMP counters and gauges to monitor the
operation in real time, including SNMP gauges on current Postfix queue
sizes. See:
   http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/AMAVIS-MIB.txt
for a list of available OIDs.

It involves a lightweight daemon amavisd-snmp-subagent, which collects
statistics from amavisd statistics database in almost- real time,
and presents itself as na AgentX to a Net-SNMP daemon, which deals
with the SNMP protocol.

We are using Cacti for monitoring a selection of these stats.
No need to parse log files.

See also
   http://www.amavis.org/amavis-2011.pdf
slide 90 and onwards.