From Jorn Argelo <j...@wcborstel.com>
Subject Re: SpamTips.org: Why run your own DNS server?
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 19:19:51 GMT
On 4-7-2011 20:35, Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 04.07.2011 at 13:23:42 +0200, Axb<axb.lists@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Well, together with the auth server it creates an "ecosystem" with
>>> some (limited) vendor lock-in capability.
>> "vendor lock-in" ? be explicit, please.
> last I looked PowerDNS highlighted some custom DNS RR types (on the
> wire) that were not usable with any other software. Migrating from one
> DNS server package to another is imho difficult enough without that
> already.
>

> Kind regards,
> --Toni++
Well, if you're concerned about that then don't use the custom RR types
that PowerDNS provides. I don't really see the fuss about it and saying
it's vendor lock-in is simply not true. It's just some non-standard RR
types and that's that. You're not being forced to use them or anything.

Regards,
Jorn