From Axb <axb.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SpamTips.org: Why run your own DNS server?
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 11:52:00 GMT
On 2011-07-04 12:46, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> http://www.spamtips.org/2011/07/spamassassin-why-run-your-own-dns.html
> I wrote this article about why it can be important to run your own DNS
> server if you have a busy Spamassassin deployment.
>
> Anyone have any better tips of an alternate DNS resolver, or
> configuration options to improve this suggested configuration?

Warren

Sadly, your post has unleashed a sequel of pretty useless hints & rants.

"There is a drawback to running pdns-recursor.  The above pdns-recursor
instance is using ~400MB of memory.  If you cannot afford this kind of
memory use, you can reduce the limits in options max-cache-entries and
max-packetcache-entries in /etc/pdns-recursor/recursor.conf as
documented upstream.  You will need to find a balance between memory use
and effective cache hit performance."

A small site will never use 400MB of DNS cacheing... don't scare ppl
unnecessarily :)
Larger sites already do local recursion and have the iron to to it.
(other recursors will also use a lot of memory under high-ish load)

Be careful when endorsing:

"For example, DNS results of DNSBL and URIBL's are very transient in
nature with tiny TTL's, so perhaps we could substantially reduce memory
usage by forcing max-cache-ttl and max-negative-ttl to a much smaller
duration.  It also appears that the packetcache is far more effective
than the cache at achieving hits, so we may be better off favoring the
packetcache rather than the memory hogging and less effective cache."

Reducing negative TTL time should ONLY be done the user runs *local*
copies of most of the queried BLs, otherwsise he may hit BL abuse
threshold way earlier.

BLs generally adjust their negative TTL to get a practical balance
between query load and positive hits.
Gaming these settings can become a costly process.

Axb