From "David F. Skoll" <...@roaringpenguin.com>
Subject Re: Suggest OCR plugin on Spamassassin 3.3.1 for image spam
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 02:20:16 GMT
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:18:48 -0400
darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

> It still seems strange to me that anybody has ever bothered with
> using OCR to deal with image spam, when it's so easy, and for me not
> problematic, to just block all emails that might be image spam -
> those with an attached image that is embedded in the body of an html
> mail.

We receive many legitimate [sic] emails that use an embedded image
in that way.  Lots of companies think it's really cool to include their
logo in a .sig :(

> I've been very happily using this since 2006, and it completely made
> image spam go away.

Is this on a business account where it's critical for you to accept
email from... ahem... somewhat less-than-knowledgeable people?

> Inlined attached images are not a feature that I find anywhere near
> worth having enough to justify needing to OCR image spam.

Unfortunately, we can't block those.  The FP rate for us would be
horrendous.

[We don't use OCR, as it happens.  We usually catch image spams anyway
using other techniques.]

Regards,

David.