From "David F. Skoll" <...@roaringpenguin.com>
Subject Re: IPv6 DNSBL/WL design, was Fwd: [Asrg] draft-levine-iprangepub-01
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:47:31 GMT
On 30 Dec 2010 17:13:07 -0000
John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> wrote:

> We'll have to change our software to handle v6 lookups no matter what,
> so I don't see it as a big deal whether it's a small change or a
> slightly larger change.

I agree, so I propose a much larger change: Stop using DNS for this
purpose.  I don't think it's the right tool for the job.

Any protocol that makes lookups in a huge adress space efficient and
efficiently-cacheable is going to leak much of the list information.
So why not just distribute copies of the entire list in a format that
permits efficient lookups and efficient sychronization (eg with
rsync)?

Regards,

David.