From Michael Scheidell <michael.scheid...@secnap.com>
Subject Re: Whitelist questions
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:56:02 GMT
  On 10/5/10 10:40 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an email that I'm trying to whitelist using whitelist_from_rcvd
> and it's not working as I expect. I've created an entry:
>
> whitelist_from_rcvd user@lanyon.com savvis.net
>
> Here is the corresponding received header:

> Is it because there is no reverse DNS entry?
yes
> Also, am I somehow not using the AWL correctly? It's actually adding
> points and not subtracting them:
>
>          *  0.0 RELAYCOUNTRY_US Relayed through United States
>          *  0.3 LOC_RCVD_UNK Contains unknown IP in Received header
>          *  1.4 BOTNET Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
>          *      [botnet0.8,ip=209.16.192.170,rdns=Lanyon.com,maildomain=lanyon.com,baddns]
>          *  0.8 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS
>          *  1.0 FILL_THIS_FORM_LONG Fill in a form with personal information
>          *  1.0 FILL_THIS_FORM Fill in a form with personal information
>          *  1.5 FILL_THIS_FORM_FRAUD_PHISH Answer suspicious question(s)
>          *  0.7 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
>
> Under what circumstances would this happen?
AWL is NOT an 'auto whitelist'. and is not  used by default configs
anymore.
instead of including the massive volume of documentation on what AWL is
and is not, just google.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008