From Michael Scheidell <scheid...@secnap.net>
Subject Re: leading blanks on From:addr prevents e.g. blacklisting from working
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 12:39:53 GMT
On 5/31/10 8:12 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
> I have just this morning come across an interesting issue (SA 3.2.5). I
> was trying to blacklist a From: address using 'blacklist_from', but it
> wasn't working.  I took a closer look at the email, and noticed:
>
> From: "something or other"<  mailing@example.com>

Interesting.. the addr part of the email address would be invalid by RFC
standards (the addr part cannot start with a space)
just use your MTA to block invalid addresses at the gateway.  with the
MTA blocking it, the sender (if they are really the sender and not a
bot) will get the NDR without the issue of backscatter to (what address
would you bounce it to?  %20mailing@example.com  ?

is this in the header from, the envelope from or both?  postfix strips
the %20 (space), and changes the envelope (return-path) to
mailing@example.com so is this just in the header from?

my understanding of SA (from a while back) is that it will
blacklist_from based on header from, envelope from and/or sender from,
so if that is so, it should have worked.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008