From Bret Miller <bret.mil...@gci.org>
Subject Re: SORBS
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:47:59 GMT
On 4/20/2010 9:05 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On tir 20 apr 2010 18:00:23 CEST, Bret Miller wrote
>> them as an organization. You need your email to be delivered reliably
>> to everyone on the internet and that's the only way it's going to
>> happen.
>
> not correct, hotmail gmail yahoo works without isp dependice, why care ?

It doesn't effect all destinations, but it affects thousands of
companies who use SpamAssassin to filter their email. And it affects
some who use SORBS DUL to reject email outright. To me that's outright
crazy, but I support a small non-profit company and my opinion is
worthless when it comes to convincing people that rejecting email solely
based on how your ISP reports or does not report your IP address is
stupid. And on top of that, there are some less-known DNSBL's that
include the SORBS DUL and get used to block email.

My users just want their email to be delivered reliably both incoming
and outgoing. If I don't care, then legitimate email gets rejected
because of others' stupidity. The only part of SORBS DUL I can control
is pressuring my ISP to tell SORBS that my IP range is static. So far,
that has worked.

There are plenty of other ineffective methods for reducing spam that I
cooperate with only because we need email to be delivered reliably-- not
because I think those methods are worth anything overall. I'm too small
to take a stand on principle. That takes much larger organizations with
some clout to effect change.

Bret