From Michael Scheidell <scheid...@secnap.net>
Subject Re: Need help running SA in a (comparative) anti-spam test
Date Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:29:19 GMT
Martijn Grooten wrote:
> All,
>
> a few months back, there was a discussion on this list about the
> VBSpam comparative anti-spam tests[1], in which SpamAssassin performed
> significantly worse than many commercial products. Now I run these
> tests and I believe something was the matter with (the installation
> of) SA that made it perform so badly. For understandable reasons, none
> of the developers had time to help me set it up well for our test, so
> we decided to withdraw it for the time being.

I am the official ports maintainer for the freebsd SA port, and I find
that a default out of the box SA install (after its first 'sa-update')
keeps about an 86% accuracy rate.
(assuming a reasonable MTA setup that blocks DHA's, emails to unknown
users, and counts the DHA's as email for 'total email' part of the
accuracy tests)

I say make sure you leave sa in its default configuration, and make sure
SUSE isn't changeing the defaults.
grab local.cf and the *.pre's from the SA distribution files instead of
anything SUSE does (I know that the freebsd port does modify a couple of
the defaults, mostly decisions on razor i think)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com