From DAve <dave.l...@pixelhammer.com>
Subject Re: Geocities closed
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:47:08 GMT
richard@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 05:08 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
>> On 27-Oct-2009, at 04:53, Mike Cardwell wrote:
>>> Why have any geocities specific rules any more if geocities doesn't
>>> exist? It's not as if spammers can host their websites on geocities
>>> anymore so there's no reason why a spammer would include a geocities
>>> url in their spam. May as well just delete the rules...
>>
>> If the links are still appearing in SPAM then no, don't delete the
>> rules, just bump up the scores.
>>

> Would this not be almost entirely pointless? With spam the motto is
> 'follow the money'. if the link does not work, there is no path to the
> money to follow. Other than prospecting for valid recipients {which
> could be done just as easily without the link} there is no benefit for a
> spammer to include a link of this nature.

I have been scoring any mail with a geocities URL at +5 for over a year
now without a complaint. I believe I will leave the geocities rules in
place until they no longer hit mail.

DAve

--
"Posterity, you will know how much it cost the present generation to
preserve your freedom.  I hope you will make good use of it.  If you

http://appleseedinfo.org